U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

NOVICE OR PRO????

Go down 
+2
Dave Shaw
craig connelly
6 posters
AuthorMessage
craig connelly

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptyFri 21 Dec - 19:36

Hi lads, was wondering how it stands, with these comps coming up,...can you enter the novices (if you feel you're at a basic novice level)...even tho you have won a B.A.F. novice championship....just the one thing that has been playing on my mind, since I have had a few different opinions on the subject, would be nice to clarify on this matter!! ;-).... santa MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GOOD ONE!! santa
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySat 22 Dec - 11:11

Hi Craig, you won 70s class on right and left last year right? (2011)
Rules state once you have won a BAF Novice then start entering Pro matches.
Although there are and is things to consider on the matter. How many comps have you pulled since and how much training have you done?

Novices is upto 85s and above 85s at Armegedon so should be a good one for you at your weight class as there should be quiete a few pulling in it.

Theres always been plenty of discussion on pro or novice!! Looking at pro boxers for example someone who is ranked 10th in britain would not get a shot at British Champion. But thats one on one and a combat sport were there is going to be injuries sustained. To a degree.
In Armwrestling as it is one on one but more of a knockout tournament it is gaining the experience of safety as well as tecnique.
But you dont want to be pulling in novices for glory/trophy hunting only. You need to be testing yourself when your ready in pro's.
In my opinion I think entering both would be a good option to consider, seeing how you do in novices first.

There should be the Top guys in our sport shedding more light on this subject for you soon Craig, Like Mighty Paul Maiden and The King Neil Pickup, The Shake Nick Hall, Pete Henderson to name a few. It would also be good to hear from others opinions on here as many view but dont reply.

As for myself I'm struggling financially at the moment so not sure if can make it to any in January and February. But will be hoping to be back competing later in 2013. Good Luck to you all for the New Year and have a GOOD CHRISTMAS santa
Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySat 22 Dec - 11:21

hi craig i would pull a few more novice comps and see where your level is at you will know then , neil is the best person to ask.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rossendalearmwrestling.co.uk
craig connelly

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySat 22 Dec - 14:57

ye would be good to hear Neil's and other top guys' opinion on this, as some form of definitive answer for everyone, cheers guys
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySat 22 Dec - 14:59

Develop yourself through the novices, you will learn infinitely more from tear ups with guys at similar strength levels than you ever will getting beaten in 1 second flat by guys like Kirlew or Sanders.
There were guys at this years novice that won having never pulled or trained before the comp, in no way should they be thrown into the shark tank of pro's just because they were an exception to the rule.
Granted the rule is in place to stop the glory hunters from staying in novices but the rules need to be looked at with common sense and applied on the basis of how long you have trained, how many comps you have pulled, who you are training with. I think the last point is the most valid because anyone training on their own or with inexperienced pullers will be more novice than someone who trains with a well recognised club that is stacked with top level pro's.
Back to top Go down
craig connelly

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySat 22 Dec - 18:29

Good shout Dan....Well knowing my own skills/experience/training, being able to compete at novice level for longer would obviously serve me better than, like you said getting no time at the table with pro's on competition days.....but its knowing exactly which competitions I'm able to enter, without having to first question whether or not I should "legally" be there, is really the big question for me??
Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySun 23 Dec - 4:08

First of all cheers to Dave for mentioning my name in the same sentence as these top guys in the country.

Personally i think pulling novice will get you a little better in general but after armwrestle training once a week for several months you should have an idea of what pressure your joints can cope with without getting an injury. If you feel you are seasoned enough to pull pro - then pull pro!! You may not win but you are sure to pull many technical armwrestlers that will make you think on the setup and when in the match pulling in all the directions which makes most elite armwrestlers so strong which will ultimately get you better and stronger at armwrestling Very Happy

Also most serious guys want to win the British where is novice comps are good but not something you would be over the moon about knowing at the end of the day you did good but didn't win the 1 that everyone trains so hard to win.

All the best Craig i'm sure you will be bad man with your commitment etc cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySun 23 Dec - 5:08

Also Craig I would recommend you maybe train with guys like Neil Pickup, Paul Maiden, Ste Kirlew, Nick Hall, Stu Hall, Andy Barker armed with a video camera... It's amazing how many different angles there are to pull and win a match!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? EmptySun 23 Dec - 21:17

Always a tough cookie this it's difficult with everybody's progression rate being different I spent a solid 12 months in the novice but also pulled every pro event on the same day also,I was lucky enough to have been given a natural ability to apply technique which made it easier for me to look good lol has I didn't have the raw strength of some of the other guys like Kirlew etc,after a few months I took some minor pro scalps but lost to the guys I should have done,I was never happy winning the novice events so my transit was easy but I could have well benefited from another year.the truth is you can only judge yourself after bring in the pro events has time after time guys have walked of the street to beat novice pullers of 2 years plus,this should not happen and if indeed it happens I can honestly say your not ready to go pro and it makes a mockery of the sport.

I hate to say this again but until the progress bar has lifted we has a nation need to accept we all have to improve or get left behind
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOVICE OR PRO????   NOVICE OR PRO???? Empty

Back to top Go down

NOVICE OR PRO????
Page 1 of 1