U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rest Before a Competition - How Long?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Rest Before a Competition - How Long? Empty
PostSubject: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyMon 20 Feb - 17:07

How long do you rest before a comp?

I normally give it at least 5 days to get rid of any niggles and so I'm 100% fresh. I've made the mistake of training too close to comps before and have still been aching which means I haven't done as well as I could have.
Back to top Go down
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyMon 20 Feb - 18:35

Steve Kirlew wrote:
How long do you rest before a comp?

I normally give it at least 5 days to get rid of any niggles and so I'm 100% fresh. I've made the mistake of training too close to comps before and have still been aching which means I haven't done as well as I could have.

I won both my European & World Titles off 10 Days rest BUT I think that training frequency & regularity is intrinsically linked to the individuals recovery rate.

I recommend 10 - 14 Days for BIG events for which I would always follow a 12 week focussed preparation IF I wanted to be at my BEST, lol not able to do that these Days BUT then again that may be why I am not near my former levels of ability & performance Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Joking aside when I was REALLY SERIOUS & it REALLY MATTERED thats what I did Wink

Cheers

Neil Wink
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyMon 20 Feb - 20:08

I allow 7 days total rest, but very much a personal thing. Devon has some interesting things to say on the matter on his pages...I think the thread/vid is called 'peaking to comps' or something similar.

Back to top Go down
stan
pro
pro
stan

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyMon 20 Feb - 22:25

I allways try to do 7 to 14 depending on my condition Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JohnPuller
JohnPuller

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyTue 21 Feb - 16:20

Does that means 7 days without any training, or just without table time ?
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? EmptyTue 21 Feb - 17:04

JohnPuller wrote:
Does that means 7 days without any training, or just without table time ?

total rest - you're tendons and immune system will thank you. it also triggers a super-compensation effect (if you've done your prep right).

check this
http://www.inthehook.com/ask_devon/peaking_for_tournament/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rest Before a Competition - How Long?   Rest Before a Competition - How Long? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rest Before a Competition - How Long?
Page 1 of 1