U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Olympic Style Lifts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

Olympic Style Lifts Empty
PostSubject: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyFri 8 Oct - 19:25

Does anyone train much oly stuff? (clean, clean & jerk, snatch)

I personally train these lifts using kettlebells and feel they're ace for the development of speed & power. On occasion, I'll also do barbell cleans and in the past have experimented using a steel barrel for clean & jerk.

Any thoughts on how they cross-over into AW?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyFri 8 Oct - 20:18

Never been my thing pal but if you're getting benefits from doing them
then keep at it.
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyFri 8 Oct - 22:04

Yep, and I tell every one I train with to do them, i do KB snatches, barbell power cleans and complexes of KB cleans, snatches and swings for warm up or cardio to a tabata timing, I can honestly say that there is no type of weight training that can elevate the heart rate to cardio levels better than power cleans for high reps with a low weight. I also like the clean to push press as opposed to a clean and jerk as i don't have the technique for the split leg position.
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptySat 9 Oct - 17:13

I also prefer push/press over classic jerk when using KB's.

High rep snatchs are a proper puker, up there with 20 rep squats. Also the single best way of removing calluses from your hands clown

I've just started a new KB routine:
100 swings
100 cleans
100 press
no rest, 20/20 alt arms with 16kg KB, total time: 16mins

Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptySat 9 Oct - 19:35

Sounds good, i'm a massive fan of swing to clean to press to snatch as 1 big complex, done for 20 reps each arm, 5 sets then resting for 2 minutes and repeating about 4 or 5 times. Chuck some sand bag work in with it and you'll have a funcional strength and conditioning programme that will beat running 45 minutes a day.
Back to top Go down
shaun 30

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptySun 10 Oct - 23:36

This is a kettlebell workout that has been a good staple for me, gives strength (mainly posterior chain)and cardio benefits. I got it from you tube its called 6 minute kettlebell workout . i use a 28kg for 2 rounds after which im pukin. The 32kg is just too much and will be for a while i think! Its tabata timing Dan so you will like it lol youl need a timer, gymboss or similar :20 sec swings (L),10 sec rest,20sec swings (R),10secs rest,20sec High pulls (L),10 sec rest ,20sec High pulls (R)
10sec rest, 20 sec Snatch(L),10 sec rest ,20sec Snatch(R)..............Repeat for 6 minute workout! its tough Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyMon 11 Oct - 5:45

I'll give that a go today when i finish work. Then it'll be armwrestling this evening.
Back to top Go down
MIGHTY PAUL
pro
pro
MIGHTY PAUL

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyMon 11 Oct - 18:08

I did alot of cleans when i wanted to gain compound strength to help beat a plateu or a inbetween to shock the body,i found doing oit with a tricep bar with scaf handles slow and controlled with a curl instead of a jerk with a 8 second slow negative to the start postion far better for armwrestling and smarter,
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts EmptyMon 11 Oct - 22:16

I'm doing a lot of controlled log lifts from the floor to waist with a row, then to shoulder with a kind of zercher curl, then an explosive push press and slowly down to finish, all with a hammer grip on a metal log weighing between 50-70kg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olympic Style Lifts   Olympic Style Lifts Empty

Back to top Go down

Olympic Style Lifts
Page 1 of 1