U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Competition format

Go down 
+6
Steve Kirlew
sampson
Anthony
dan
Freak
puremagic
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
puremagic
pro
pro
puremagic

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 10:29

Guys,

what is your favourite competition format? What do you think creates the best competition?

Open/Supermatch?

Pro and novice seperate or together?

weight classes in 10s or 5s?
Back to top Go down
Freak
Gold member
Gold member
Freak

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 11:03

in my opinion i'd say an open draw competition, seperate classes in 10kg increments
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 11:30

I like the open draw format, running a single pin double elimination up to semi final matches where it switches to best of 3 with no previous pins counting, and the same for the 3/4th place match and final.
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 11:36

The Curse wrote:
in my opinion i'd say an open draw competition, seperate classes in 10kg increments

Agreed!

I'd also welcome a special class for pullers with slender girls hands (like mine) jocolor
Back to top Go down
sampson
pro
pro
sampson

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 12:31

i always think that in a comp it would be good if the finals would be done in a super match format with the A side having to win 3 and the B side 4.....but that never gonna happen bounce
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 12:43

dan wrote:
I like the open draw format, running a single pin double elimination up to semi final matches where it switches to best of 3 with no previous pins counting, and the same for the 3/4th place match and final.

That then takes credit away from the a side finalist which I'm not keen on.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 12:50

I like a mix of both. I like super matches because it give you an opportunity to prepare for that specific guy. At the open tournament you don't know who you're going to get so you can't prepare as much for it. It's also a bit of luck involved with the draw. Arguably the open style is a greater test but then on the other hand the super match is a test of endurance and versatility because if you loose you need to try something else to win.

For open tournaments I like the way they do it at the worlds.. They narrow the field down to the top 4 and then the 2 loosers on the b side go head to head (one goes home with 4th), then the two a side winners go head to head (one goes to the final and the other goes to the b bracket to face the remaining b bracket finalist). The 2 remaining b bracket guys go head to head and one goes home with 3rd and the other goes to the final to face the a side finalist (the b side guy needs to win twice and the a side guy needs to win once).

This is the fairest way of doing it in an open draw comp.

My favourte super match format is 6 pins with a silver bullet if there's a 3:3 draw.

Last edited by Steve Kirlew on Sat 3 Mar - 13:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
puremagic
pro
pro
puremagic

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 13:03

I guessed everyone would have a different view.

What I want to know is this...what is the fairest and most exciting format.

So for me it is:

single pin, double elimination.
10k increments 70, 80, 90, 90, 100, 100+
Open class, no novice (might as well step up to the plate)

I also agree with Steve on deciding the top 3 and that the a-side should have an advantage over the b-side.

Who agrees? What else is going to make an amazing competition?
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 14:11

Just out of curiousity ?
I wonder if thers any way of doing a Supermatch Table. ?

i.e. Winner of paul Maiden v Neil Pickup for example would be Top or near top of leugue.

Whoever under them in descending order etc and then puts some kind of table to Supermatches

So armwrestlers can see if getting better or going up and down the table ??
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 15:32

I really don't see it as taking credit away from the A side puller, if anything it gives them 2 more chances to prove they are the best puller on the day, and the b side puller who worked hard to make the final should have a fair chance of winning.

I like the idea Dave has proposed for a league based on supermatches,, they do it in Sweden where you can challenge the puller above you in the rankings. This would tie in with the other thread about 5kg limits. You can only challenge for a place if you both are within a certain weight.
Back to top Go down
stan
pro
pro
stan

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 17:48

I allways like the open with the best of three in that terms it takes that lucky strike away Very Happy
I still like the old Arm Wars format Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 19:04

dan wrote:
I really don't see it as taking credit away from the A side puller, if anything it gives them 2 more chances to prove they are the best puller on the day

This really isn't the fairest way though is it? So it's a double elimination competition... One man has lost a bout and the other not lost and they're both in the final. I can't see how redeeming the loss of the b side puller and making it a clean slate would be fair on the a side puller who hasn't lost and why he would want another chance to prove himself that extra time like you said. I like fair and this doesn't sound it to me.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 19:05

Dave Shaw wrote:
Just out of curiousity ?
I wonder if thers any way of doing a Supermatch Table. ?

i.e. Winner of paul Maiden v Neil Pickup for example would be Top or near top of leugue.

Whoever under them in descending order etc and then puts some kind of table to Supermatches

So armwrestlers can see if getting better or going up and down the table ??

This UK super match league table would obviously need to be in weight divisions!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 19:40

Yes would sound good if there was a table set up maybe upto certain weights but it would need someone doing the admin

not sure how it could be managed.

Nicks doing a great job with the supermatches and its got better every year with lots of interest

I like the advertisment for Rampage 6 on top of forum

Smile

Would like to hear of good ideas Steve or anyone on somekind of table where everyone can view each others challenges, supermatches, wins and losses etc
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 19:50

One good point to supermatches is the fact that whoever is having a supermatch in your team then the whole team gets involved in the training and build up to it
Back to top Go down
terryackers
Admin
Admin
terryackers

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 19:58

I like the super match ranking, but just not be that easy to sort, kinda like the ranking system.
Back to top Go down
https://armwrestling.forummotion.com
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 20:34

I love a main draw has i like to buzz of pulling everyone has i get the buzz each time i go to the table,i love supermatches coz i like to play to the crowd and you feel like a pro and all the hard work you put in seems worth it,

has for the super match weights being close to eachother it really needs to go to abilitlty has if i was number 2 and big Ste was 1 then surely the 65kg weight diffrence would be to much???? but we are evenly matched on abilty so were are we then,Craig say is 4 Marv 3 then the 35kg diffrence is to much yet in a match hmmmmm so i think the league would have to be on ability not weight,

lets start a comittee meet on here once a week get a comp sorted everybody have a shout at whats going and sort out a league
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 21:02

I agree with paul definatley matches are matched on level of ability.
Nick is doing a good job matching supermatches at Rampage then some are challenging each other, so long as there around each others level.
It also puts the Incentive into training and pushes everyone forward.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 21:11

paul maiden wrote:
I love a main draw has i like to buzz of pulling everyone has i get the buzz each time i go to the table,i love supermatches coz i like to play to the crowd and you feel like a pro and all the hard work you put in seems worth it,

has for the super match weights being close to eachother it really needs to go to abilitlty has if i was number 2 and big Ste was 1 then surely the 65kg weight diffrence would be to much???? but we are evenly matched on abilty so were are we then,Craig say is 4 Marv 3 then the 35kg diffrence is to much yet in a match hmmmmm so i think the league would have to be on ability not weight,

lets start a comittee meet on here once a week get a comp sorted everybody have a shout at whats going and sort out a league

I disagree. A super match legue table should be in weight division like PAL. There's enough competition in the weight classes to make it interesting already.

If people want to do the Dave vs Goliath super matches separately that are based on ability regardless of weight then they can go ahead and do that.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 21:21

Sweden run a very slick super match league table system.. I've just emailed Charlie Minell for more details. Let's see how the experts do it.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySat 3 Mar - 21:27

Slightly embarrassing... When I say Sweden are the experts... They got the concept from Neil who ran the Pro Grip Super Series since 1998!!! (sorry Neil!)

This is the exact concept I think should be how the super match league table should be again in the UK. It worked amazing once already and this was divided by weight division.
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySun 4 Mar - 0:46

paul maiden wrote:

This only works when you want to know who the best overall puller is. If we want to establish the best puller in a weight class is then we do matches, afterall this is how football leagues are run. If you want to see who the best overall puller is, then organise a catchweight supermatch ,how does pulling a guy 35kg heavier than you give you a ranking in your own weight class? Think about it, as it stands, the best pullers in their weight are well established, does that mean that Ted has to pull Craig to establish who the number 1 65kg puller is in the UK?
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySun 4 Mar - 1:03

On second thoughts, if you want to be the best puller in your weight class you have to beat everyone in your class. Paul, pulling Big Steve doesn't prove you are the best 100kg puller in the UK, it proves you can beat one man who is heavier than you. If Man U beat Barcelona, it doesn't make them premiership champions it just means they won a match. To be the best in your class you have to beat everyone else at that Weight.
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySun 4 Mar - 2:08

Ok Dan
time for the honesty then i guess,it may not be fair for Craig to pull Marv etc but what do you wanna do never see Craig have a match becaUse now and for the last 10years plus nobody is even good enough to even stop him unless its been somebody heavier?

myself in 100s or Neil who else will even get close i mean no disrespect but its realilty i wont lose till i decide i will so i guess myself and Neil will pull till we retire

90s Andy Barker if trained who will beat him nobody so who does he pull???

now we have to be realistic until everybody else catches up the top guys who i consider to be Neil,Alan,Marv,Steve,Craig,Andy,Me right arm who else really will beat us so i guess it would be more fun to see those matches than Maiden vs Thomas Craig vs Burnell Andy vs Green what would be the point??? who gets better nobody who learns nobody but what about this Craig vs Pickup Thomas vs Dickenson dont they seem more appealing???

its about progression and the hard fact and truth is you will not get any better from me spanking you but you will get better having a 2min hook match with Stan,in a ideal world we would have great ranking everybody would be close but it is not like that the guys who are at the top now have been for the last 10years and bar a few great special pullers that have come on the the seen IMO it soesnt seem like it will change.....
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format EmptySun 4 Mar - 2:11

And Dan your right i aint the best 100kg puller in the country Neil is i but iam the overall champion of the country
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Competition format Empty
PostSubject: Re: Competition format   Competition format Empty

Back to top Go down

Competition format
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next