U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?

Go down 
+13
Colin Williams
ricky
andrew
Bradley The bomb martinez
Anthony
terryackers
NickHall
dan
sean paterson
Pete
The Aggressor
Leon
Steve Kirlew
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptySun 20 Jan - 12:19

Colin Williams wrote:
Devon Larratt is supposedly clean. Yet he reached the pinnacle.

I think the people most likely to be clean who are at the top are Devon and Janis but we don't know.

Let's say Devon is clean and he was cloned - his clone takes steroids and hgh for 6 months.. Devon (the clean one) would NEVER win! A simple illustration of the difference it makes.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptySun 20 Jan - 12:33

What we see in our sport today is people that have been blessed with the best genetics possible for armwrestling, who would have a good chance of winning a world title clean, then combining that with a concoction of steroids and hgh becoming monsters.

Firstly, for me I have good genetics but not the best and I would struggle to compete on a competitive natural world level.

Secondly, when you get someone with the best genetics possible for armwrestling and then they combine that with a little concoction of roids, they become unbeatable because we would struggle to beat them 100% naturally, let alone unnaturally.
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptySun 20 Jan - 15:51

Is it possible yes for everyone nope.supplements are needed in every sport to compete whever its legal or not
People are taking gear in our sport other pro hormones basically a oral form of gear goes In clean comes out not so

With gear pro hormones a post cycle therapy is needed which only a hand full of intellectual people use seenthe guy I the gym that gains 10kg then seems to lose it in a month of two guess what he didnt use it

Now being in the ssupplement game I pretty much have used the magazine and I can tell you a clean creqtine cycle with added beta alanine will give you just has good power gains as a ph cycle.

Gear not so but had a natural test boast and you have a good alternative to a cycle with no crash and a steady growth of power throughout the year

If you are wanting the easy route see terry Hahahaha Hahahaha
Back to top Go down
andrew
Silver Member
Silver Member
andrew

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptySun 20 Jan - 19:55

I AM CLEAN AND PURE.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com
shaun 30

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Jan - 1:00

I very highly doubt many if any of the super elite of many disciplines are totally clean. It causes a lot of cognitive dissonance for people to believe that their sporting heroes are taking performance enhancing drugs,they want to believe that they train naturally like themselves so they reject the more unpalatable truth. Unfortunately natural levels of test and growth hormone plus genetics plus training plus “legal” supplements aint enough to get you to the very top of a power sport anymore. When you have freaky genetics and additional anabolic hormones and hgh we have the super athlete ie lilliev. He is an obvious example that Stephen mentioned but if you trace the development of many of the top armwrestlers you can probably tell when they started using (well with some it’s obvious anyway lol)
Because the subject is still taboo due to gross misinformation and demonisation primarily by the media, athletes who use PED,s aren’t gonna admit to past, present or current use. However steroids in themselves do not make a champion, IMO if you took drugs out of sport mostly the same guys would be at the top, I don’t think the ratings would change that much. Because with majority if not all elite using or have used it’s still a relatively level playing field.
What many also fail to see is that the accumulated benefits of taking anabolic steroids over a number of years in terms of increased power and recovery are independent of whether that athlete is using them at the time of testing. Also as regards to testing for current use, the metabolites of these substances disappear without trace after a specific time, depending on the drug, which is known to the user. If the sport is tested he/she therefore stops using at the required time prior to potential testing. As already mentioned, Some PED’S like growth hormone are cost prohibitive to test for any way. The only way as Leon rightly says to test is random visits in hope of catching someone on cycle. That aint going to happen. and the federations are in the know anyway. The problem is this is not a recent phenomenon and especially where there are money/commercial pressures on the line and there are drugs that will enhance performance then they will be taken and have been for ages. The mindset of many elite athletes is such that if you gave them a choice of taking a drug that would ensure being the best, but would kill them in 5 years many would still take it.
I personally am not anti steroids and think that there prudent use alongside proper post cycle therapy to reestablish natural test levels are not a major risk to health. If you look at growth hormone the risks to health appear to be even less. This is my opinion but people should do their own research and I am not here advocating their use. I am talking about proper use as opposed to abuse. Obviously if colossal dosages of hormones are taken for increased athletic performance than that is down to the individual’s perception of the risk/reward ratio. Dosage and performance is not directly proportional but side effects probably will be. All drugs have side effects, the higher the dose the greater they are( although one or two anabolic steroids may be relatively safe even at high doses). Indeed some AAs may enhance health and quality of life hence the burgeoning use of testosterone therapy for HRT in the states and soon to be same here.
The media has demonised steroids and hoodwinked Joe public into thinking that most competitive sport is essentially drug free. Virtually (if not) all elite competitive athletes who participate in a discipline requiring power as a prerequisite for success will be on. Otherwise they could not compete and win at that level .Disciplines that use primarily aerobic energy systems ie long distance cycling will also benefit from additional drugs that improve that system ,so previous tour winners for example would have used blood doping which has been replaced by EPO .This is nothing new. The turkeys may all come home to roost now because the cat is out of the bag. It didn’t happen after 1988 when Ben Johnson was scapegoated for using stanazolol and I notice his interview yesterday appeared to be edited to make it sound like Johnson was saying Lance Armstrong should say sorry for taking drugs.
What really pisses me off is that everyone in the know from the athletes to the governing bodies knows what’s going on but nobody will come clean and tell it like it is. No they would rather scapegoat athletes in order to perpetuate the myth that they are cheaters and most elite athletes are clean. Well unfortunately it hasn’t been the case for a long time. As I always say if you could magically now take drugs out of sport (as if they never existed) many of the world records would go back to pre 1970s levels.
Back to top Go down
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Jan - 12:57

I agree with a great deal of the comments made about this Thread & in Shaun’s post above however this element -

“Virtually (if not) all elite competitive athletes who participate in a discipline requiring power as a prerequisite for success will be on.” - & - “Otherwise they could not compete and win at that level”

I absolutely disagree with the “if not all” element in the context of the question asked, mainly because as Shaun has correctly pointed out, the use of Steroids & HGH are not a new and I have Won 2 x WAF Titles & 2 x EAF Titles, in arguably the most competitive weight classes -80kg. & -85kg. as well as numerous Silver & Bronze Medals on both Arms, up to as recently as a Silver Medal Right Handed in the -90kg class in WAF 2006 in Manchester.

ALL of these accolades were accomplished without the aid of ANY PED’s, FACT.

I appreciate that I am indeed genetically gifted for the Sport and also that I didn’t really have much of a life outside of Armwrestling at that time however I do believe that it is still possible, for a very naturally / Genetically gifted Armwrestler to win a WAF Gold Medal.

IN FACT WAF or any other Main Draw format competition affords a Drug Free athlete far more opportunity to Win than would a 1 on 1 format Series against members of the Super Modified Class, due to the fact that A LOT of VERY STRONG Pullers compete at WAF & cumulative damage can be inflicted on athletes as they progress. Janis’s victory over Hadji was GREATLY assisted by styles & the edge being taken off Hadji by Kassanov in a BATTLE in the earlier Rounds. Janis FINISHED MATCHES QUICKLY & is extremely Strong in an elusive style of attacking Armwrestling, as was I at my peak.

Genetically gifted athletes are very few & far between in our Sport in this Country, a fact that is very evident to me every time I compete in the UK due to the fact that I’m STILL competitive against REAL Heavyweights & Super-Heavyweights despite being extremely distracted, comparatively weak & poorly trained AS WELL AS 3 weight divisions outside my optimum leverage based weight class.

Opinions vary & always will, mine is that IT IS POSSIBLE for the Right Athlete, with the correct experience, mental strength & skill set, under the correct circumstances. It is often more likely for those competing at the extremes of the available Weight Classes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?   Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Is is possible to win a world title without DRUGS?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2