U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Great weekend but??

Go down 
+3
stan
Colin Williams
paul maiden
7 posters
AuthorMessage
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

Great weekend but?? Empty
PostSubject: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 10:48

To take nothing away from the weekend it was great,fantastic pullers great set of people and good solid smooth show,so why my but???

I and this is IMO was a bit disappointed in the turn out I expected this to be a massive show with massive numbers was I expecting to much??

There was lots of pullers of different levels high and low that didn't attend now I no there are always some good reasons and I in no way am I aiming this at any individual or group and want no explanation,I just want to say my peice and leave it.

Firstly I do this sport as its a part of me I love it the training the people the buzz I started in December 1998 and from that day I've thought about top rolls in my sleep at work and the 90mile a week cardio I do stay snappy :-) I don't expect everybody to be the same but if you want to improve you need to come support the show pull or not be there feel the atmosphere be apart of the fun.it doesn't matter if you win or lose you can't go to a comp and be afraid or think your wasting money if that's the case don't pull coz you won't win sweet FA everybody can't be champions at once but everybody can espire to be it train to be it,the general newcomer to the sport thinks to much IMO I've got a niggle I can't win well guess what if you don't turn up you never will,I was once not so good,nor Neil,Ted,Plus all the other winners but perseverance paid of,if you can't afford it say so the promoters will help the pullers will help we would sooner have you there than not,plan your year beginners don't pick and choose your comps you are not injured enough nor good enough just pull
Hope to see you all soon
Paul
Back to top Go down
Colin Williams
Colin Williams

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 15:54

Yeh there were lots of people from all different weight classes that didn`t make it, for whatever reasons. Hope to see the guys that didn`t show soon though.
Back to top Go down
stan
pro
pro
stan

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 17:42

I enterd even though I didn't have a cat in hells chance of winning Sad
I was depressed, angered and ill but with it being not too far from home I made the efert and made the numbers up
Because when it comes down to it its not the winning but the taking part that counts
The higher the number the better the comp
I think in the last ten years I have only missed two BCs
I could of missed this one but its too good to miss
Next year I'll be there to win not just to take part Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 17:59

Perhaps a more central location is worth consideration for future BAF comps
Back to top Go down
Andy adsett
Valued member
Valued member
Andy adsett

PostSubject: central location   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 18:14

the problem you would have is central to GB is blackpool/leeds central to england is birmingham/peterborough the only fair way would be map out all the aw clubs & fine the central point that way
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 18:18

How about holding it in a different location each year?
Back to top Go down
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 18:23

Short answer Anthony mate, we have done that and it didn't ever make the slightest scrap of difference.

If you speak to promoters the World over as I do its often the generally percieved HARDER level events where you get fewer attendees.

We did Birmingham Star City for 2 straight years - no change in Pro rata attendence but increased costs & to be honest less suited facilities.

We did Lakeside Centre Thurrock for a number of years 4 or 5 on the spin I believe - no change in Pro rata attendence but increased costs.

I honestly think as I've said MANY, MANY times before, the answer is to get the GENERAL numbers involved in the individual Regions up & from there the numbers coming through the Ranks will automatically increase.

Keith Taylor set the Blue print by teaching Teenagers as he did with his "Panthers Crew" and NOW they are a force.

At weekends guys get your table & take it into your towns, put it on the Street corner in a busy area of town & teach people how to Armwrestle.

THATS WHAT I DID BACK IN THE DAY !!!

IT WORKS..............TRUST ME !!!

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BUILD THE SPORT THATS WHAT YOU HAVE GOT TO DO GUYS.
Back to top Go down
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 18:32

Location is not the solution.

DESIRE TO COMPETE IN THE EVENT & PHYSICAL NUMBERS OF GUYS IN THE CLUBS IS THE ANSWER.

That allows clubs to spread the costs of attending improves the whole atmosphere & experience of the event.

The Old timers will remember when I used to run the IRON ARM UK Series at the Gamebird in Chorley, Lancs.

ALMOST ALL of the Old Guard existing Champions still around today came from THAT era.

It used to take us 3 Weeks of consecutive Saturdays 6pm til Midnight to conclude the event...........NO JOKE !!!

We had just 5 weight classes BUT it was literally 70 men deep each class !!!

BUT I used to go into Gyms & town centre every week promoting the sport & finding the potential pullers, run up to 6 Shows a week EVERY week in local Pubs, Gyms & Clubs doing the same.

Its about getting people onto the table & showing them how much fun the Sport can be.....................
Back to top Go down
stan
pro
pro
stan

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyMon 20 Aug - 23:38

I agree
Pete White did simuler with his strong arm promotions
He did St helens, wigan and some of Manchester and produced some of the top wrestlers Paul Maiden, Ste Rogers. Paul Michell and its were I started
There are more clubs now so put them to use
Help each other to promote it works
A lot of poeple will try it but only a few will stay and they are the futuer champs Very Happy
Back to top Go down
david horne
pro
pro
david horne

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyTue 21 Aug - 7:47

I don't promote Armwrestling contests, but of course I have promoted grip contests nationally and worldwide since 1991. As you guys have said, it is these contests that have brought through the superstars of our sport.

Don't think your first venturing into promoting has to be all 'Las Vegas' in style, small grass-roots events are essential. In fact we still have a grass-roots mentallity in many of our events.

People want a quality event, run well, food, banter, and also more attempts at other stuff after the comp.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/index.html
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? EmptyTue 21 Aug - 12:46

I totally agree that we could all do more to promote armwrestling within our towns and districts.

Well said David too. I really enjoyed your grip comp and would recommend this path to those wishing to host their own events.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great weekend but??   Great weekend but?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Great weekend but??
Page 1 of 1