U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?

Go down 
+3
paul maiden
david horne
Steve Kirlew
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? Empty
PostSubject: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 13:27

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about this subject for a while and would like to know what you think.. What is the best method of training for armwrestling? When I say method, I mean one of these main methods of training:

1. Power training: 1 - 6 reps
2. Hypertrophy training: 8-12 reps
3. Endurance training: 15+ reps

Some people will say 'whatever works best for you', but there has to be an overal best method for armwrestling (just like there is for a marathon runner or an Olympic weight lifter). Yes, some people will have more fast twitch muscles than others and therefore favour power training (and possibly main draw tournaments) and others more slow twitch muscles who will favour more endurance style training/competitions.. but there has to be a best method of training for armwrestling in general.. WHAT IS IT?

I believe armwrestling is predominantly a power sport but with the super match format becoming more popular it's also now an endurance sport.

Michael Todd focuses his training predominantly on endurance but rarely competes in open draw format tournaments.. So does the training method depend on the format of armwrestling you're focusing on (i.e. power training for main draw tournaments / endurance training for super matches)? And is it possible to train for and be great at both?

My opinion is that it is possible to be great at both and in order to do this, both power and endurance training need to be focused on..

For example:

Week 1: Power training (1 – 6 reps or whatever exercises you’re doing)
Week 2: Endurance training (15+ reps of whatever exercise you’re doing plus drops sets)

From now on, I’ll be following this method and will see how it works over the next few months.

Let me know your thoughts!

Steve
Back to top Go down
david horne
pro
pro
david horne

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 14:33

All sports are:
Strength
Speed
Technique
Endurance

Train on them all.
If you are week in one area you will be found out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/index.html
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 15:32

I used to believe in building my tendons with long slow reps isolated movements has being blessed with power and natural speed I thought this to be my way forward,has I lacked raw strength something that I believe is still lacking today although not as much,most of my training is short bursts and less than 8 reps If I rep at all
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 19:02

Armwrestling is a power sport, but endurance (and ultimately power endurance) is so important! Good technique counts for very little if you can't do it when your gassed, especially in supermatch format.

I'm a big believer in volume work, 3 x failure of 2-3 different exercises. As I've mentioned before, I mix this up with low rep or single static lifts for power and even do circuits, using the same weight for 3 circuits of 3-5 exercises.

Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 19:43

Good Topic, I go as heavy as I can certain exercises but just started doing high reps now as an experiment and to shock and change training. Will see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 20:19

I always try to do high reps of specific armwrestling exercises and work on armwrestling power on the table Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 20:47

david horne wrote:
All sports are:
Strength
Speed
Technique
Endurance

Train on them all.
If you are week in one area you will be found out.

Sure David but different sports put different amount of emphasis each area.. For example, a marathon runner wouldn't focus a massive amount on strength training (say 5% for arguments sake) and an Olympic power lifter will probably focus about 90% on power.. So what is the % emphasis in armwrestling?
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 20:48

Pete Henderson wrote:
I always try to do high reps of specific armwrestling exercises and work on armwrestling power on the table Very Happy

Why is that Pete? What have you learned that suggests this is the best way?
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 20:49

Anthony wrote:
Armwrestling is a power sport, but endurance (and ultimately power endurance) is so important! Good technique counts for very little if you can't do it when your gassed, especially in supermatch format.

I'm a big believer in volume work, 3 x failure of 2-3 different exercises. As I've mentioned before, I mix this up with low rep or single static lifts for power and even do circuits, using the same weight for 3 circuits of 3-5 exercises.

'Power endurance', I like that.. I've not heard that before.. What do you mean by that?
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptySun 25 Nov - 22:31

Ok, time to bore you all. Exclamation Our muscles contain 3 types of fibres, type I, type IIa and type IIb they all have different abilities. Type I are the slow twitch, endurance fibres that are in a high abundance in endurance athletes. They respond best to high reps, low weight and high volume. Type IIa are adaptable and can be trained to be like type I fibres but can also be trained to exhibit type IIb fibres which are in abundance in power sport athletes. These benefit from training with high rep speed, heavy weights and low reps/ volume. So it is beneficial for us to train the type IIa with moderate intensity for a higher volume, say 70-75% 1rm for a volume of 15-20 reps, then train the type IIb with intensity of 85-95% 1rm reps of 2-4 and total volume of no more than 8-10 reps. The tempo needs to be fast on the concentric (positive) part of the rep and slower on the eccentric (negative) part of the rep. Exercises like dumbell snatches, cleans, explosive pullups will help with power generation. Power =mass times acceleration. Therefore the faster you can move a mass, the more power you are generating.
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 8:44

Dan if one guy is fast one guy has endurance or slow and is unable to stop the fast guy what's the point in having endurance?? We all talk about if only I could stop him I could win bit it's a what if how would you change it fir the better? Serious question pal
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 9:43

Ok, so you have endurance but not speed, this is where power training comes in, essentially you are looking to accelerate a mass quickly, the mass being your arm. Training for power reduces fast twitch response time which makes you quicker. So if you combine the elements of power, strength and endurance type training, you cover all bases. Of course reaction times also play a part and you need the tendon strength to match the power, but if you do at least one explosive workout a week like explosive chin ups, dumbell snatches, and any short range of motion exercise (misery chair) performed with a fast pull and slow release.
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 10:05

dan wrote:
Ok, time to bore you all. Exclamation Our muscles contain 3 types of fibres, type I, type IIa and type IIb they all have different abilities. Type I are the slow twitch, endurance fibres that are in a high abundance in endurance athletes. They respond best to high reps, low weight and high volume. Type IIa are adaptable and can be trained to be like type I fibres but can also be trained to exhibit type IIb fibres which are in abundance in power sport athletes. These benefit from training with high rep speed, heavy weights and low reps/ volume. So it is beneficial for us to train the type IIa with moderate intensity for a higher volume, say 70-75% 1rm for a volume of 15-20 reps, then train the type IIb with intensity of 85-95% 1rm reps of 2-4 and total volume of no more than 8-10 reps. The tempo needs to be fast on the concentric (positive) part of the rep and slower on the eccentric (negative) part of the rep. Exercises like dumbell snatches, cleans, explosive pullups will help with power generation. Power =mass times acceleration. Therefore the faster you can move a mass, the more power you are generating.

I get all that Dan but it doesn't tell me what the ideal training for an armwrestler is (and at the same time telling me what type of muscle fibles makes for an ideal armwrestler - i.e. all marathon runners will have predominantly type IIb muscle fibles as a result of the endurance event that it is)...
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 10:08

dan wrote:
Ok, so you have endurance but not speed, this is where power training comes in, essentially you are looking to accelerate a mass quickly, the mass being your arm. Training for power reduces fast twitch response time which makes you quicker. So if you combine the elements of power, strength and endurance type training, you cover all bases. Of course reaction times also play a part and you need the tendon strength to match the power, but if you do at least one explosive workout a week like explosive chin ups, dumbell snatches, and any short range of motion exercise (misery chair) performed with a fast pull and slow release.

Are you saying focus 33% on all three areas (power, strength and endurance type training) when you say focus on all to cover the bases?
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 10:57

Once when I was in my 20s I trained my legs Did 12 sets every 5 days on them 4 warm up sets and 8 HEAVY. wITHIN ABOUT 2-3 MONTHS MY LEGS WAS GETTING TO BIG AND i HAD TO STOP AS COULDNT GET TROUSERS TO FIT ME. MY THIGHS WAS REALLY RIPPED ON THE 8 HEAVY SETS. If I could do the same to forearms would be great, but as there is a more of a range to train. i.e. wrist, hands, different parts of forearms for pulling in different directions if I train heavy on wrist say on Monday forearms are ripped and it is difficult for example to train back to full limit and other parts within the rest of the week.

So how do ? and what to do for best ?
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 11:05

Also I know some guys may train everything in one day but on doing that for example say you did a set heavy or alot of reps on back then your forearms are going to be pre exhausted when you come to do wrist curls for example then more exhausted on hammer curls so also balance in training maybe?
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 11:36

As I said all bases need to be covered, if I was to periodise it over a 12 week period, the first 5 weeks would be endurance based with 70-80% 1rm 3 times a week with timed constant pressure pulling on the table, then I would do a 4 week block on power training 85-95% 1rm with hits against 2 hands finishing with statics in all positions. The last 3 weeks would be a speed block slightly lower intensity with high speed reps and on the table would be speed work using bands and hits against a loose arm, having ready go's shouted at random intervals by training partners.
Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 11:52

Steve Kirlew wrote:
Pete Henderson wrote:

Why is that Pete? What have you learned that suggests this is the best way?

Yes because i seem to get stronger when i armwrestle on the basis i'm injury free but if i were injured i would lift heavy in the gym to compensate as i wouldn't be able to push myself to the extreme when armwrestling. So for me it's very simple - High reps in gym then i can destroy myself on the table as i will be fresh because i haven't gone heavy in the gym.
Back to top Go down
paul maiden
pro
pro
paul maiden

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? EmptyMon 26 Nov - 15:45

Thanks Dan

Stephen I guess the way we train we also depend on the time of pulled we were matched against in what format your greatest enemy at the weekend was having the strength to hold the position you gained with your power movements and table stamina due to lack of time on it,it could of been different you pulled great very well done
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?   What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the best METHOD of training for armwrestling?
Page 1 of 1