U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? Empty
PostSubject: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 16:21

Team GB attendance at the European and world championships has died massively over the past few years which is a huge shame.

I absolutely loved the times I spent at the world’s with the team over the years from things as little as losing weight in the sauna to attempting to eat a massive meal after dieting for 2 weeks and weighing in, the adrenaline of competing and then the supporting one another from the side lines.

I also met loads of new friends from all over the world.

I remember the days when we used to have a relatively big presence at the world’s (Canada 2003, South Africa 2004, Japan 2005). Since the world’s in Manchester Team GB has seemed to have died a death. In my first world’s in Canada I got last place but the experience was absolutely invaluable and helped me progress massively in the sport!

Why is this?

I’d love to know your thoughts and to see if we can build a strong team for Brazil this year.

Last edited by Steve Kirlew on Tue 10 Jan - 17:38; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 16:43

Good question Steve! Success in comps, especially the Worlds is guarenteed to gain exposure and raise awareness. High level success will cascade down thro the ranks, making life better for all. This is true in any sport!

Agreed it's a real shame that things have dipped in the past 5 years or so!

Who managed the GB Team in the past?
What happened after 2005?
What can be done differently to help ensure future success?

....and YES GB will win gold again!
Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 17:06

I have pulled 5 worlds

finland 2000
poland 2001
usa 2002
canada 2003
japan 2005

bounce a big factor is money at the end of the day bounce

flight for brazil are dear i would get looking at prices now..

WORLDS 2009 - Rosolina di mare, Italy = BIG TEAM PRESENT
WORLDS 2010 - Mesquite, United States of America = TEAM PRESENT

Last edited by NickHall on Tue 10 Jan - 17:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rossendalearmwrestling.co.uk
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 17:14

Good point Nick, I forgot about that one!
Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 17:20

I agree money is a factor and things are very tight at the moment but I went to the world’s when I was at uni and didn’t have a job… People still get the money to go on holiday and I recon there are a fair few who could raise the money for the world’s if they really wanted to…

I think another factor is the feeling of not being ready and performing badly but you’re VERY unlikely to turn up at the world’s for the first time and medal! The first time I went I got last place but the experience was invaluable for me and my future progression in the sport!
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 19:52

Agreed ref money - this is naturally the limiting factor for most.

Perhaps there is a case to raise funds collectively & sponsor our best pullers to represent GB.

I know I'm asking the same question in a different way, but how have trips to the worlds been organised in the past?

Is it down to individuals or is there a team structure/hierachy with captain/selection etc?

Where does BAF factor in to the equation?

How do other countries approach the worlds?

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down
Steve Kirlew
pro
pro
Steve Kirlew

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyTue 10 Jan - 22:15

Sponsorship in terms of money for Team GB is out of the question... sponsorship for a company offers such little value and in the current climate it's not worth even trying. On an individual basis it might be possible... I used to get £2,000 a year sponsorship money, free gym membership and £50 a month worth of supplements. I'm sure if I wanted to get these kind of sponsorship deals again I could but they're quite hard to get and I don't need to at the moment (I work for a gym and own a supplement company!).

I think all clubs should be charging a small fee for training (£2 per week) so that funds can be raised to buy equipment and pay for trips and flights to competitions. We did this in MKAF and we raised several hundreds of pounds in just a few months that helped people attend the world's in USA. This is a no brainer so if you're not doing this as a club then START NOW!!!

Neil Pickup organises the team for the worldss and euros and has pretty much been to every world's and european championships since the beginning of time.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the organisation just a lack of desire amongst UK armwrestlers these days...

I'm not 100% sure of how it works in other countries but most countries get a higher attendance than we do.
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyWed 11 Jan - 8:01

It all depends where the team sponsorship comes from, a national news paper could be the answer, someone like the Sun or Star, possibly a supplement company that is breaking into the market, and wants exposure to a new section of strength sport they might not have access to otherwise.
In terms of what can be offered, there would be the obvious product palcement on shirts, arm warmers, team bags, tracksuits, then every competitor could post about them on twitter, blogs, facebook etc. Banner ads on websites for clubs or BAF all sorts, but they must be shown to get value for money and lots of exposure, there are around 1000-1600 competitiors at worlds, not to mention any supporters, spectators, live streaming etc that could bring a huge new market for companies looking to break into different sectors of the sports market.

Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? EmptyWed 11 Jan - 20:32

I plan on competing at the worlds next year in Poland and the year after in Latvia. I think a 1 or 2 from the club are up for it too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?   Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Team GB dead? - Will we ever get GOLD again?
Page 1 of 1