U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read

Go down 
+10
NickHall
pawel
puremagic
dan
sampson
James Green
joanne
Leon
Anthony
KING EDWARD
14 posters
AuthorMessage
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read Empty
PostSubject: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyWed 23 Nov - 19:46

Hi All,

After consultation with the B.A.F. Senior Referee's it has been mutually agreed that from January 2012 the B.A.F. will no longer allow non-experienced Armwrestlers to compete in any sanctioned Armwrestling competition.

As some of you will know this is something that I have felt has been necessary for a number of years but there were various concerns voiced that it would be extremely restrictive in terms of attracting new athletes into the sport.

As such I have put a considerable amount of thought into how this objective could be achieved HOPEFULLY without restricting the potential growth of the sport & whilst possibly enhancing U.K. Armwrestling at all levels.

A secondary consideration was that I had noted concerns about levels within the Sport (an issue which is evident in Armwrestling Worldwide) ie. who is a Novice & who is a Pro Armwrestler in terms of the athletes individual capabilities & how this might be measured.

As a method of addressing these Dual issues, I have pulled together a Grading Structure which will become applicable to ANY & ALL U.K. (B.A.F. recognized & affiliated) athletes going forward.

Within this System athletes will be individually accredited by their regional instructors & the B.A.F. intructors, based upon the following disperate elements :

Basic safety at the Table in one or more Armwrestling Techniques.
Technical capability within the different Styles or Techniques of Armwrestling.
Technical understanding of the 3 Core Systems of Armwrestling - Top Rolling / Hooking / Pressing.
Ability to teach the individual Techniques of Armwrestling.

In Basic Summary the Gradings available will be as follows :

NOVICE GRADINGS

Novice Level 1 :- Basic safety at the table and an acceptable level of technical understanding and ability in at least one Armwrestling technique.
Novice Level 2 :- Secondary standard of Novice expertise, with the athlete displaying more advanced levels of table safety, technical understanding and basic ability in at least two Armwrestling techniques.
Novice Level 3 :- Most advanced Novice standard of expertise, with an athlete displaying sound levels of safety, technical understanding and basic ability in all three broad Systems of Armwrestling technique.

Pro Level 1 :- Basic Professional standard, where an athlete has proven via Tournament results, to be of a relatively high level of both strength and technical ability in at least one Armwrestling technique.
Pro Level 2 :- Secondary level of Professional expertise, where the athlete has consistently proven, in Pro level competition, to be of a high level of strength, technical ability & understanding, in at least two Armwrestling techniques.
Pro Level 3 :- Advanced Professional Athlete Qualification, the athlete has consistently proven, in Pro level competition, to be of a high level of strength, technical ability & understanding, in all three broad Systems of Armwrestling technique.

Athletes graded at Novice Level 3 and above may also apply to obtain accreditation as a B.A.F. recognized Armwrestling Instructor at one of the following three levels :

Instructor Level 1 :- Basic standard of Instructional expertise, where the individual has proven to be of a high level of technical ability & understanding in at least one Armwrestling technique and is able to effectively articulate that expertise to other athletes.

Instructor Level 2 :- Secondary Level of Instructional expertise, the individual has proven to be of a very high level of technical ability & understanding in at least two Armwrestling techniques and is able to effectively articulate that expertise to other athletes.

Elite Instructor Level 3 :- Advanced Level of Instructional expertise, the individual has proven to be of a very high level of technical ability & understanding in all three Systems of Armwrestling technique and is able to effectively articulate that expertise to other athletes.

All Clubs within the U.K. will need to forward a comprehensive list of ALL of their athletes in order to ensure that they have been graded prior to events to natural@armwrestling.co.uk

UK Clubs & Organisations will be required to forward their Official points of contact ie. Club lead member or Presidents e mail address & mobile phone number in order to receive grading details via Excel spreadsheet.

There will be no fewer than 3 Official grading days per annum where athletes will be required to demonstrate their capabilities, following which they will be accredited accordingly on merit.

I will be available to answer any further questions you might have at the "Rossendale Rampage" event this coming Saturday the 26th of November  however I trust that I have outlined all of the salient issues above

Regards

Neil Pickup
President
British Armwrestling Federation
natural@armwrestling.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Nov - 21:21

This could have a big impact on the development of armwrestling in the UK and affects all of us. I'm a relative new comer to this sport, but I continue to be impressed by the calibre of people involved with it. So, I'm a little suprised that nobody has commented, especially after so many views.

Safety is always an issue, and becomes paramount with new/in-experienced wrestlers. Therefore; some basic level certification, on table safety/basic moves/the rules/... is a very good idea. I personally advocate good form & proper technique in all strength sports.

There are clearly many steps between having this kind of foundation and a tiered grading system as is proposed. So, I'm keen to open the dialogue further and understand how we do it. There are clear benefits, but before we get into the details, perhaps we should better understand the fundamentals. What about the cost? Implementation alone will require a fair bit of time and resource from BAF and the supporting clubs, so I'd like to understand how much this may cost to set-up and maintain. What sort of timescales can be expected? Many clubs already travel a lot to comps, so any clarity on planning/timing will be much appreciated. What are teh alternatives? How does this compare to other grading systems?

I know I don't for speak for everyone, but I'm sure many of you will have questions. If there are questions, then you should ask them now! Thanks to Neil & BAF for the info and taking the time to put this together. Very interested to see how this develops and what can be agreed to move things forward.

As a non-BAF member, I'd also like to see more info on the benefits of becoming a member and how I could get more involved. Ultimately, I motivation here is driven largely by a love of armwrestlng and desire to promote it.

Thanks,
Anthony

Back to top Go down
Leon
Gold member
Gold member

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Nov - 21:47

I concur with a lot of what Anthony said, firstoff making safety more of a priority must be a step forward and should be quite easy to implement. However I'm not convinced a grading system would really put to bed the issues regarding the pro/novice debate, and my first reaction is that it is potentially very complex and time consuming, probably necessitating further travelling for the outlying athletes. I'm also surprised no one else has commented thus far considering the gravity of what Neil has said here.
Back to top Go down
joanne
World Champion
World Champion
joanne

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Nov - 22:06

most impact comes from people leaving due to the many witnessing of broken arms and parts,
i think it seperates people who are serious about our sport, which we have been fighting for (the seriousness to be acknowledged) to see if they are willing to train hard and focus for something
or come and go and be a waste of time to a club, its people and all the knowledge and time being given to someone who doesnt take it so seriously.

there is not many sports where people can walk in and out off with not a hint of training or understanding, and this certificate does not exempt people from entering it could take as less as 1-3 training sessions to be fully understanding of safety if taught well, then at a competition referees would not have a huge guilt hanging over them when someone injures themselves badly like we have seen 3 years on the trot at the novice......
i think it is a great idea if you get signed off on the first milestone u can enter the novice...... its not a huge achievement for someone to reach
it makes our sport, more professional, more sport like and most of all more safe to KEEP people interested and not scared off, if i saw what i have done in the last 3 years when i began no way would i have stayed and im pretty sure that goes for a lot of peole, iv seen my dad when he is reffereeing and it happens, he looks like a ghost and blames himself....that is not right at all.

i honestly think if someone does not/cant be arsed to learn basic saftey for a sport they are potentially interested in then why bother learning it

i really think this is a step forward for our sport, all you boys Anthony, Leon have learned so much in such little time that you know it is possible to do so, you all know safety and techniques for the sport and it didnt take long at all

i think personally it is a awesome step and im really looking forward to seeing its impact!
good work guys
jo
Back to top Go down
http://joannethehitwomanpoole.blogspot.com
James Green
pro
pro
James Green

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Nov - 22:18

Fully agree... Big step forward for safety. I think any new comers should have to be a member of a recognised BAF training club, and trained regularly for 6 months to allow a small amount of bone conditioning.
Back to top Go down
sampson
pro
pro
sampson

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Nov - 23:43

Yep, great step forward and like Jo says it will show the people who really do want to train hard, SMART and SAFE!
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySat 26 Nov - 14:33

Most of you who know me, know how vocal i am on the subject of novice/ pro levels, this new grading system is a huge step in the right direction, i think the best way to solidify it would be for the BAF to require all clubs to be registered, and consequently the athletes training at that club become BAF members, then there could be a mandate stating that all club presidents/ head coaches must have a minimum level of Pro 1 and be a sanctioned and graded BAF coach.

I also beleive that as counter productive as it may sound, if you are not a member of a BAF registered club, you cannot compete in national level events, however the clubs would be required to run at least 1-4 local open entry novice comps, to try to promote the sport at grass roots level, i know there will be funding issues, I have my ideas for this, but that is something that can be discussed on another thread.

In football, a club may not become part of the league without registering, and no one may coach professional football without a minimum FA recognised coaching qualification.
It is high time we took the sport of armwrestling forward with more formal structuring, this will lend more credibility and therefore we will be treated more like a sport than a past time.

I would personally like to see a belt style grading, where a club would host a grading day, and a panel of 3 elite level trainers from the BAF could watch a puller at the table with someone of a higher grade, demonstrate the various techniques or requirements for the grading they hope to acheive, after a designated time, the panel would then convene to discuss whether the puller has been successful or not.

Judging would not be based on pins but ability to show understanding and application of the 3 systems against an opponent whilst demonstrating safe practice.

If they acheive the level, a diploma is issued and their new level is acknowledged. Regardless of comp wins or desire, if a puller acheives pro status during a grading day, they are imediately inelligable for any novice comps from that point.

A database on the BAF website of currently registered pullers and their staus would need to be kept and updated accordingly, this list can then be available for use at comps so there is no confusion as to who should enter which level.

Back to top Go down
puremagic
pro
pro
puremagic

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySat 26 Nov - 18:08

I like how this system gives us a structure for training our new guys. I have seen both step by step, safety and good technique comes first style training and "jump on the table and go for it" style.

In my experience those who learn proper technique and always put safety first enjoy the sport more and suffer with injuries less...or at least have less serious injuries.

This makes it simple. First timers to training need to be signed off on rules, table safety and etiquette and then you can start training them in different techniques.

If there is anything I would like to see added to this it would be the development of defensive techniques.

This is all good positive stuff.
Back to top Go down
pawel
Gold member
Gold member
pawel

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySat 26 Nov - 18:10

Neil I think this could have a big impact on the development of armwrestling
In Poland, a club may not become part of the league without registering.
Most impact comes from people leaving due to the many witnessing of broken arms.
I remember reading many times this article: http://www.armsport.spb.ru/metod10.html because I had no where to learn

PS. here is great strength training method for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdspHh9Ay0
http://www.armpower.net/trening,23
Back to top Go down
KING EDWARD
World Champion
World Champion
KING EDWARD

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySat 26 Nov - 19:13

Thatnk for the feedback All,

Just a few response comments :

Dan, hope your well mate, the middle part of your e mail (as I had put in the initial notification SMS) is basically exactly what the grading structure will be (or IS GOING TO BE NOW).

ie. During Grading days athletes qualify for the next level infront of a minimum of 2 Elite 3 level Coaches & myself. (grades WILL NOT be easy to obtain, they will be very structured & the grade MUST be proven).

Central athlete level, database is the sheet that I have sent out to those clubs who have e mailed me at natural@armwrestling.co.uk (I have all the clubs & their current athletes on one sheet).

Matt, Thanks for your input on this matter however there is actually no additional element in what you are describing in your post mate.

Defensive & Attacking Armwrestling do not and CANNOT exist as seperate entities within any grading scenario where merit is awarded based upon an athletes Technical expertise.

Attack & Defense are ONE, they are intrinsically linked & athletes would need to be proficient in ALL areas of a Technique or Pulling style to gain accreditation.

At Pro level I am not only looking at the ability to perform the movements like a physical Blue print but rather the UNDERSTANDING of Angles, leverage & timings

Cheers

Neil Wink
Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyMon 24 Jun - 18:09

for the new novice guys & girls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rossendalearmwrestling.co.uk
andrew
Silver Member
Silver Member
andrew

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyWed 26 Jun - 0:58

As a newly established club trying to attract new talent we must make our sport as open and accessible as possible and avoid putting obstacles in the way of  achieving this.I myself believe that safety at the table is important and in my experience having competed at national and regional level (not as much as i would like to due to the current shortage of comps) and in the events i have competed i feel safe and confident in my own ability to pull safely and i have great confidence in the high standard of referreeing in the matches i have contested and indeed have had the priveliege of having none other than Dan Thomas as referee in my debut match last january which was reassuring at such a critical time in my pulling career.Dan has been someone i regard very highly as he and the cambridge team has trained me in all the basic principles of armwrestling and how to stay safe at the table and got me up to comp standard for my debut comp last january.Now 5 months later Me & Jerome Bloom have established our own club The London Minotaurs and our aim is to attract new talent to our sport.One of my concerns is that we do not want to be bogged down in beaurecracy and administration as this could be time consuming and would be counter productive. As things currently stand i am happy as they are and the way to move foward is more comps at grass roots and club level and more informal inter club contests,as at present we only have national and regional comps.We need more at grass roots level.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com
786bigkhan

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyWed 26 Jun - 3:08

i am new to armwrestling and quite happy to see this grading system in practise, because i understand health and safety is paramount. progression from novice to pro is good, could do with more novice comps for the novice to gain experience and improve.
cheers
Back to top Go down
The Aggressor
pro
pro
The Aggressor

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySat 29 Jun - 13:32

The bottom line is safety must come first , i have had the unfortunate experience of witnessing this first hand as in my very first match my opponent broke his arm , and my team mate too has had this happen him, you may think you can wrestle safe but having an experienced Armwrestler show you good and bad isn't abad thing for the sport
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptySun 30 Jun - 1:21

In all combat sports grading is used, armwrestling should be no different. The attitude that this should be an inclusive, everyone in it together holding hands tra la la la and playing nice past time needs to be erradicated, this is a COMBAT sport and development from novice to pro should be structured and managed to promote safe competition and to increase the credibility of what is seen as something you do when you are drunk in the pub.
The brutal honest truth is that armwrestling is not a sport suited to everyone, you may not have the physical structure to deal with the stresses it places on you, you may not have the will to keep going through the achey breaky, you may not have the mental capacity to accept that as a beginner, you will lose all the time, those that do possess these qualities will keep coming back and should be nurtured and looked after.
Back to top Go down
Anthony
Gold member
Gold member
Anthony

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyFri 25 Oct - 22:18

Arm-wrestling is simple, right? Yeah just like chopping wood, cracking a whip, or driving a golf ball like Tiger.

Like me old judo instructor used to say - get the technique and timing right and the power will just come!

Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyMon 27 Apr - 12:27

for the new guys & girls to read study
Back to top Go down
http://www.rossendalearmwrestling.co.uk
Hanlon

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read EmptyThu 8 Jun - 0:04

I've armwrestled 9 months now n already in that time had the pleasure of training and pulling comps with some of britains best... u may feel safe pulling against 1 person and be sure u know u pull safe... only been pulling a very short time but I'm yet to meet 2 guys that pull exactly the same and over cockyness on the table can be the mother of all f ups u don't know for sure where they will hit so always be ready and be 1st
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read   B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read Empty

Back to top Go down

B.A.F. Official Athlete & Instructor Qualifications / Effective from Jan 2012 New guys & girls please read
Page 1 of 1