U.K. Armwrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arm wrestling chat

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers

Go down 
+3
Dave Shaw
david horne
NickHall
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers Empty
PostSubject: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 14:15

a mate of mine been telling me for weeks that he been shutting the heavy grips 200 Ib for reps...
I didnt belive him....

he come up this morning so i got him to try my captain of crush no 2 hand grippers which are 195 Ib to shut he was no were near shutting them

so i try his heavy grips 200 Ib hand grippers they were easy...

there a very big different pressure wise between captain of crush gripper & the heavy hand grips

has anyone else felt a big differents between them Question

david horne might know more on this...
Back to top Go down
http://www.rossendalearmwrestling.co.uk
david horne
pro
pro
david horne

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 14:36

Nick,
Those numbers mean nothing at all, zilch. They were plucked from the sky.
How hard a gripper feels, is down to quite a few things, and I wouldn't want to bore you here with all the details.

Without sounding like advertising, the best bet is to get the Vulcan, as it's the same gripper for all resistances, same spring, and all you do is move the spring up one side to make it a little bit more difficult.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/index.html
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 19:02

Just ordered some handgrippers for me and Paul Mitchell as you know Nick they are from ultimate grip

was wondering if theres any views on those type.

Also David how much is the Vulcan Please.

Dave Shaw
Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 19:23

I have got the HG 200, 250, 300 and 350. I can shut the 300 on a good day for 1 rep but can't touch the 350. I used to train on these all the time but now do more on the plate loader...
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 19:45

Hi Power,

apparently the HG is not as powerfull as some of the other grippers however this does not mean anything as in your hand strength development.

I think it was back in the nineties when me and Stey rogers trained together we used a plate loader, however i found it was making me cheat a little so i prefer to use hand grippers now.

One thing i worry about using the hand grippers is the side effects...

makes me grimmace and gurn last few reps

dont want it spoiling my good looks lol!

Back to top Go down
Pete
pro
pro
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 19:52

Cheers for the advice Dave, i think i'm gona start using the grippers alot more now so then i'm workin my hands in different ways
Back to top Go down
Leon
Gold member
Gold member

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 21:33

imo the HG 200 is basically equivalent to an Ironmind No1, the HG250 is about a 1.8 so not quite as hard as an Ironmind No2. I had a HG 300 which was ridiculously hard, harder than any Ironmind No3 I've tried.

The problem I find with the Heavy Grips is that they are often badly made, asymmetric and don't close with the handles level. Also the knurling is very "slick" so they're quite awkward to get hold of, I find the Beef Builder Grippers made by Warren Tetting have the best knurling (it's really sharp).

How do you "cheat" on the plate loader? Do you mean rowing the weight up as opposed to closing your hand?
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 22:22

Hi Leon,

Yes i think thats what it was i was more or less rowing the weight.

To get the full benefit of using the plate loader you need to press down with the palm of hand and squeeze up using fingers. Am i right. ?

Well any ways i found myself not being as strict.

with grippers how can we judge how our strengh is progressing along with others until we compete in matches IF our grippers are all different in comparison.?
Back to top Go down
Dave Shaw
Gold member
Gold member
Dave Shaw

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 22:30

By the way Nick next time i come to yours for a training sesh i will bring along the ultimate grip 200 and we will compare that to the captain of crush 200
Back to top Go down
Leon
Gold member
Gold member

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySat 8 Jan - 22:39

Hi Dave,

yeah I think you're right about the plate loader, whenever I try one it I brace my palm and push down and only pull up using my fingers, I make sure I'm bending right over too which makes me less likely to try and row the weight.

The problem is all grippers have springs in which will always vary to a degree; For example I have 2 Ironmind No2 grippers which feel "spot on" difficulty wise (compared to others I've tried and I've tried loads), but Anthony has one which is extremely difficult and feels like almost like an Ironmind No2.5.

But to be honest I'm not convinced grippers really "help" that much for arm wrestling when shut in the conventional way. I can rep the Ironmind No2 for 15 parallel reps, and Craig can't fully close the No1 , but his hand is much stronger than mine in almost any other way you care to test it.
Back to top Go down
dan
pro
pro
dan

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 1:42

For me the only use for grippers is in static holds, i've now stopped using my coc 2's for reps and just focus on closing the 3's as far as i can and holding them for as long as possible, then slowly releasing and repeating until i can't move them.
Back to top Go down
david horne
pro
pro
david horne

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 7:57

DaveG,
Here's the Vulcan page.

Guys,
There are many ways to train with grippers. One way you may not have seen is using the Thumbscrew on them (Vulcan or normal grippers). Especially the Palm Squeeze exercise.
Here's a video.

You can purchase these in the shop for £15.
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#thumbscrew

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/index.html
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 11:00

Leon wrote:
imo the HG 200 is basically equivalent to an Ironmind No1, the HG250 is about a 1.8 so not quite as hard as an Ironmind No2. I had a HG 300 which was ridiculously hard, harder than any Ironmind No3 I've tried.

The problem I find with the Heavy Grips is that they are often badly made, asymmetric and don't close with the handles level. Also the knurling is very "slick" so they're quite awkward to get hold of, I find the Beef Builder Grippers made by Warren Tetting have the best knurling (it's really sharp).

How do you "cheat" on the plate loader? Do you mean rowing the weight up as opposed to closing your hand?

thanks leon Wink
Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 11:05

DaveGForceShaw wrote:
By the way Nick next time i come to yours for a training sesh i will bring along the ultimate grip 200 and we will compare that to the captain of crush 200

ok dave
Back to top Go down
NickHall
Admin
Admin
NickHall

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 11:08

looks good mr horne..
Back to top Go down
shaun 30

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 14:35

Leon wrote:
Hi Dave,

yeah I think you're right about the plate loader, whenever I try one it I brace my palm and push down and only pull up using my fingers, I make sure I'm bending right over too which makes me less likely to try and row the weight.

The problem is all grippers have springs in which will always vary to a degree; For example I have 2 Ironmind No2 grippers which feel "spot on" difficulty wise (compared to others I've tried and I've tried loads), but Anthony has one which is extremely difficult and feels like almost like an Ironmind No2.5.

But to be honest I'm not convinced grippers really "help" that much for arm wrestling when shut in the conventional way. I can rep the Ironmind No2 for 15 parallel reps, and Craig can't fully close the No1 , but his hand is much stronger than mine in almost any other way you care to test it.

I think the last sentence says it all - if gripper type crush strength was a big component of hand strength needed for armwrestling Craig S( i assume your referring to him) would have it in abundance and apparently he does not.
Back to top Go down
Leon
Gold member
Gold member

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers EmptySun 9 Jan - 18:12

exactly! You should see him on thick bar though, he manhandled the baby inch both hands and practically curled it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers   Big differents between captain of crush  &  heavy grips = hand grippers Empty

Back to top Go down

Big differents between captain of crush & heavy grips = hand grippers
Page 1 of 1